I’ve been considering all the reasons why I blog, and when I began blogging back in September 2005, it was not that much of a leap for me in lifestyle change. I’d been a journaler for many years. Writing has always proved to be a “thought sorter” for me – kind of a mental catharsis.
Blogging has also enabled that, but it’s given others a window into my mind. Many times, when you pull up a chair and a donut to read Notes, you’re simply reading my continuous thought flow, a stream of consciousness inscribed and preserved by HTML. One of the surprising and encouraging rewards of blogging has been the input I’ve received from so many.
I’ve discovered that as I sort my thoughts, every now and then, what I’ve written helps someone else do the same – about a particular issue, problem, or relationship. It’s an amazing thing to be able to record one’s thoughts in a way that actually communicates and touches another person. Whether spoken, written, or sung, the transferral of concepts from one person to another is an awe-inspiring event that transcends our understanding.
So blogging really began for me as a way to communicate what I’m thinking to a broader audience. If you’ve never journaled, I suggest you start there and see if writing down your thoughts helps you sort through them. With the onslaught of our media-saturated world, you may just discover that sorting your thoughts and ruling over them well will bring a joyful sense of divine communion.
“We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” (2 Cor 10:5, NIV)
On this day...
- Some blogs to follow - 2013
- Secret Church - 2008
- dot Mac is really not Mac - 2007
- Why do we breathe? - 2007
Table of contents for The Joy of Blogging
- Why blog?
- Blogging as a thought sorter
- Blogging for personal growth
- WordPress theme winner, blog commenting, and networking
- First-time blogging and Tumblr
- Adios Twitter, for now…
- Getting serious about blogging
- Getting serious about blogging, 2
- Another reason I enjoy blogging…
- Blogger down, blogger down
- Nuff said: Top 5 Bloggers of 2016, How to get your blog noticed, How long your posts should be, What if you’re called to be ignored?