Tim has done us all a favor by posting an excerpt from one of George Whitfield’s sermons in which he teaches his listeners how to receive the most fruit from a sermon. Interesting take. Whitfield was one of the prominent preacher/theologians during the Great Awakening, and he stands as one of the great preacher-teachers of all time.
Here are the main points:
- Come to hear them, not out of curiosity, but from a sincere desire to know and do your duty.
- Give diligent heed to the things that are spoken from the Word of God.
- Do not entertain even the least prejudice against the minister.
- Be careful not to depend too much on a preacher, or think more highly of him than you ought to think.
- Make particular application to your own hearts of everything that is delivered.
- Pray to the Lord, before, during, and after every sermon, to endue the minister with power to speak, and to grant you a will and ability to put into practice what he shall show from the Book of God to be your duty.
I’d highly encourage you to read the post over at Tim’s blog. Which points particularly strike you? What might you add?
On this day...
Leave a comment
The Personal Blog of Jeff Noble
Info: From the misty hills of Virginia, "Notes from the Trail" seeks to encourage you on your journey. Written by a graphic designer-pastor, this blog is a blend of humor, insight, and faith discovery.
Check out my Tumblr site for other thoughts, pictures and randomness.
Also, my about.me page can link you to my other digital hangouts on the web.
- An intro to Jesus Manifesto
- The Cove and personal spiritual retreats
- A la carte: Are you doing team leadership wrong?, Interns, and 3 Issues Churches Must Answer
- Goodbye (again)
- Liddle Women: Virginia Tech softball, faith and cancer
- A la carte: Evernote app ideas for speakers, Chris Broussard
- Take a free temperament test by Keirsey
- Sometimes it takes a ballpit
- Review: The Lost World of Genesis One
- 7 helpful tips for those in their 40s
Links of Interest
Most Commented in Past Year
Users: 1 Guest
- “Select all” code for inviting Facebook friends to an event
- Why I gave up consuming “The Beardstown Ladies’ Guide to Smart Spending for Big Savings: How to Save for a Rainy Day Without Sacrificing Your Lifestyle”
- Please leave a message…
- A la carte: Death of personal blogging, political posts, book on prayer recommendation
- Review: Groups app for iPhone
- Apple store coming to Little Rock?
- When it’s time to leave your church
- Sunday’s comin’
- Google search missing after Firefox update
- About WBC: Don’t Feed the Animals
- iPad update