As always, “Nuff said” is a collection of links and items of interest from across the net. They are usually random and include a conglomeration of tech, humor, relational, politics, and spiritual/religious. In this entry, you’ll read about the #1 cause of divorce, Bible translations, Donald Miller spirituality, a great coffee mug, and the latest, most trusted professions. Let me know which one stood out to you:
#1 Cause of Divorce: Investment
Kevin Thompson is the Lead Pastor of Community Bible Church in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and he has a great entry on his blog worth reading about what really causes divorce in most cases. It’s an investment problem.
We love our spouse to the extent that we invest in our spouse.
How to know your Bible translations
This clever graphic is from Adam4d.com, a curiously comic website, which you should bookmark and revisit often.
Donald Miller spirituality
Jonathan Leeman has an article sure to stir up Donald Miller fans. He is responding to a blog post by Miller, “I Don’t Worship God by Singing. I Connect With Him Elsewhere.” Leeman points out that anyone could insert anything for singing and come up with:
- I Don’t Worship God by Scripture. I Connect With Him Elsewhere or
- I Don’t Worship God by Fellowship. I Connect With Him Elsewhere or
- I Don’t Worship God by Obedience. I Connect With Him Elsewhere
It’s this pick-and-choose spirituality that alarms Leeman.
To be fair, Leeman is a member of Capitol Hill Baptist Church where Mark Dever is pastor. They are very high church and very structured, which is probably on the opposite end of where Miller is coming from. In advocating more structure and discipline, Leeman says:
we must not mistake these structures for authentic Christian living and love. But I do believe they are both the food that gives life to the body, as well as the skeleton that holds the organs and muscles in place. And I believe they are biblical, by which I mean prescriptive for all Christians in all times and places, albeit with circumstantial adjustments.
Leeman foresees Miller’s response to his argument for more structure and highlights Miller’s love of relationships.
Speaking of connection, the main thing that struck me about your article were the words connect and intimacy… But if we’re brainstorming on a whiteboard, we need to jot down a few more words to get the full biblical picture, words like submission, obedience, love, and worship.
A coffee mug I may need…
6 reasons you’re not getting superb volunteers
Our church is currently a “mobile” one – we meet in a middle school and setup and tear down weekly to “do” church. While this article by Cary Nieuwhof may be written from a church perspective, it’s highly applicable to any leadership situation. Click over and read his thoughts and then click back here.
Few things are more demotivating to a high capacity volunteer than a disorganized staff person.
Since I saw myself in a couple of the points, here’s what I’m planning on doing for improvement:
- Digested and evaluate monthly. I’m putting this article in my Reminders and setting it up to remind me monthly to read.
- I’m going to set some practical goals in some of the areas and ask folks to help me achieve them.
The most trusted professions
Ouch. Mine ranked 5th – just below police officers and just above bankers and.. lawyers.
- ‘Nuff said: Surviving Christmas Shoes, Sexy Christianity, Strange Fire, War on Christians
- ‘Nuff said: Fake friends, wrecking friends, loss of interaction, Hello-my name is Church
- Nuff said: Extroversion vs Introversion, Are you naked?, Christian resolutions, Recommending books.. and more
- Nuff said: Majestic Hotel, smartphones and sleep, church signs, church history, imperialist Christian missionaries
- Nuff said: Noah and Tim Tebow, Repenters, Driscoll’s apology, Let it go-please, abortion speech, Urkaine, and help for those who don’t want to raise their hands in worship
- Nuff said: Social media help, smart phones and dumb people, ministry to youth on social media
- Nuff said: Bad news believers, hashtag diplomacy, silver bullet of discipleship, single and satisfied?, kids sports, Kid President
- Nuff said: 10 commitments, the power of definitions, leaving your church well, ways you’re doing Twitter wrong, NO!, and more
- Nuff said: Trusting scripture, a Gospel without words, a Trader or a Christian?, Does Powerpoint help?, Be a people person, Selfies Anonymous
- Nuff Said: Son of Hamas, Elders as Disciple Makers, Hipster Quitter, Caveats to the #IceBucketChallenge, the new face of the IMB,
- ‘Nuff Said: Improving Your “Do,” Things to pray for your kids, 20 things you shouldn’t do if you’re over 20, 30 things you may already be doing that impress others, when a cult repents, too much phone? and Star Trek
- Nuff said: Fix annoying iOS 8 tidbits, charts!, the world’s largest religion, why working from a coffee shop may not be a good idea
- Nuff said: Saving Daylight, the church “stand and greet time,” the iPhone cone, why go to church and more
- Nuff said: #1 Bible translations, Cause of Divorce, Donald Miller spirituality, coffee mugs, trusted professions
- Nuff said: Cool air, on the wrong side of history, iPhone history, utilitarianism, Gmail helps, a heavenly visit?
- Nuff Said: Demise of blog commenting, Small Groups make a BIG difference, Questions for sleepy Christians, & 11 books we lie about reading
- Nuff said: A week later with the same-sex ruling
- Nuff Said: Why Churches Should Stay Home on Halloween, Photoshop Alternatives, Dumb Ideas About Jesus, The Power of Next, Discipleship DNA, What Ben Carson would do first if elected President
- Nuff Said: Bonhoeffer too popular? When $17.38 changes a life.. Churches & communication… The death of cultural Christianity… A college president stands up… Star Wars cast acapella
- Nuff said: Impractical Jokers save the day, Watch Pompeii get destroyed, How to deal with crisis, How to reach millennials, Blacksburg Winter Storm aerial footage, 9 reasons the church need to reach college students
- Nuff said: Pastor ponderings
- Nuff said: A tribute to millennials as college starts again
- Nuff Said: Tech companies trumping Trump, Helping authors, Pastors who ignore phone calls, ways for busy moms to be in the Bible, Frankfurter Sandwiches and more