The Church And Homosexuality: Ten Commitments
Kevin DeYoung has a helpful entry for believers who need to speak to, about and with people who support homosexuality as a normative lifestyle choice. He points out that one’s tone and approach usually adapts to the audience.
He then suggests 10 commitments that Christians need to make in this cultural dialogue which will seek to prevent argument.
Saying NO as a leader
In 170 words, Ron Edmonson nails it on the importance of this two-letter word.
“Unplanned” pregnancies and how definitions impact culture
Mark Regnerus writes about how the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy claimed success in reducing teenage pregnancies by 30% and then added a new emphasis to their focus: unplanned pregnancies. It’s a radical and unwise shift simply because it seeks to redefine pregnancy in general. The movements shifts from something wise to something that actually redefines family and societal views of children.
He borrow some thoughts from sociologist James Hunter that have significant implications on other national conversations we are having:
…culture change is a work of legitimation and deligitimation, of naming one thing normal and right and its competition deviant, stupid, inferior, ridiculous, or just plain wrong… our frameworks for how we think and converse, and our perceptions of what normal reality should look like… Such naming is a form of power.
Whether it’s “marriage” or “unplanned pregnancy,” when we begin to move from traditionally accepted definitions, we cannot dialogue with one another in a diverse culture any longer. Those who write (or rewrite) the definitions are wielding societal power. The pen truly is mightier than the sword.
How to leave well (as a church staff member)
This article by Sutton Turner over on Resurgence.com is a needed addition to the church employers handbook. Many times, church staff members do not leave “well.” Knowing how to use grace and discernment is imperative, even in situations where you’ve been the problem or when you’ve been wronged. There are still ways to exit gracefully. Which ones do you think are the most important? (There are 13 listed.)
5 Ways You’re Doing Twitter Wrong
If you’re new to Twitter or need a refresher, these quick five tips deal mainly for when you should use “@” and how you can use “#” more effectively.
You may have seen this amazing viral video, but if not, well, it’s amazing. This dude pours molten aluminum into a fire ant hill. The result: An amazing sculpture that weighs 17.9 lbs. and reaches a depth of 18 inches.
- ‘Nuff said: Surviving Christmas Shoes, Sexy Christianity, Strange Fire, War on Christians
- ‘Nuff said: Fake friends, wrecking friends, loss of interaction, Hello-my name is Church
- Nuff said: Extroversion vs Introversion, Are you naked?, Christian resolutions, Recommending books.. and more
- Nuff said: Majestic Hotel, smartphones and sleep, church signs, church history, imperialist Christian missionaries
- Nuff said: Noah and Tim Tebow, Repenters, Driscoll’s apology, Let it go-please, abortion speech, Urkaine, and help for those who don’t want to raise their hands in worship
- Nuff said: Social media help, smart phones and dumb people, ministry to youth on social media
- Nuff said: Bad news believers, hashtag diplomacy, silver bullet of discipleship, single and satisfied?, kids sports, Kid President
- Nuff said: 10 commitments, the power of definitions, leaving your church well, ways you’re doing Twitter wrong, NO!, and more
- Nuff said: Trusting scripture, a Gospel without words, a Trader or a Christian?, Does Powerpoint help?, Be a people person, Selfies Anonymous
- Nuff Said: Son of Hamas, Elders as Disciple Makers, Hipster Quitter, Caveats to the #IceBucketChallenge, the new face of the IMB,
- ‘Nuff Said: Improving Your “Do,” Things to pray for your kids, 20 things you shouldn’t do if you’re over 20, 30 things you may already be doing that impress others, when a cult repents, too much phone? and Star Trek
- Nuff said: Fix annoying iOS 8 tidbits, charts!, the world’s largest religion, why working from a coffee shop may not be a good idea
- Nuff said: Saving Daylight, the church “stand and greet time,” the iPhone cone, why go to church and more
- Nuff said: #1 Bible translations, Cause of Divorce, Donald Miller spirituality, coffee mugs, trusted professions
- Nuff said: Cool air, on the wrong side of history, iPhone history, utilitarianism, Gmail helps, a heavenly visit?
- Nuff Said: Demise of blog commenting, Small Groups make a BIG difference, Questions for sleepy Christians, & 11 books we lie about reading
- Nuff said: A week later with the same-sex ruling
- Nuff Said: Why Churches Should Stay Home on Halloween, Photoshop Alternatives, Dumb Ideas About Jesus, The Power of Next, Discipleship DNA, What Ben Carson would do first if elected President
- Nuff Said: Bonhoeffer too popular? When $17.38 changes a life.. Churches & communication… The death of cultural Christianity… A college president stands up… Star Wars cast acapella
- Nuff said: Impractical Jokers save the day, Watch Pompeii get destroyed, How to deal with crisis, How to reach millennials, Blacksburg Winter Storm aerial footage, 9 reasons the church need to reach college students
- Nuff said: Pastor ponderings
- Nuff said: A tribute to millennials as college starts again
- Nuff Said: Tech companies trumping Trump, Helping authors, Pastors who ignore phone calls, ways for busy moms to be in the Bible, Frankfurter Sandwiches and more