Caro picked up the kids the other day, and apparently on the way home, Adelyn got crosswise with the family. She announced that she was “tired of being small,” entered the house, packed her suitcases and raincoat, and announced that she was running away.
Carolyn, being the insensitive parent, laughed hysterically from her study window as she watched Adelyn head down the driveway with her luggage. I was the the thoughtful parent and ran to get my trusty Treo to record a few moments from Sam’s bedroom window.
You’ll notice that she got as far as the end of the driveway before she stopped, frozen in thought. I’m sure there was a holy hush outside as creation stilled itself for this solemn second-grader in her flight for freedom. Inside the house, however, Carolyn cackled like a banshee, and the Treo clicked away.
After a few moments, she headed south. Down the side of the house to the patio. It was there that she set down her things, pulled a picture of the family that she’d packed in her luggage and placed it carefully on the patio table. Our cat, Smokey, dutifully guarded the thoughts of the-one-who-would-be-big.
On this day...
Leave a comment
The Personal Blog of Jeff Noble
Info: From the misty hills of Virginia, "Notes from the Trail" seeks to encourage you on your journey. Written by a graphic designer-pastor, this blog is a blend of humor, insight, and faith discovery.
Check out my Tumblr site for other thoughts, pictures and randomness.
Also, my about.me page can link you to my other digital hangouts on the web.
- On invalid signatures, rejection, reflection, and relief
- Running for Blacksburg Town Council
- Why I am not responding to your texts
- Why I’m moving from a smart phone to a dumb phone
- Review: A Call to the Unconverted
- New episode of Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom: Snake Handler
- An intro to Jesus Manifesto
- The Cove and personal spiritual retreats
- A la carte: Are you doing team leadership wrong?, Interns, and 3 Issues Churches Must Answer
- Goodbye (again)
Most Commented in Past Year
Users: 1 Guest
- Why I gave up consuming “The Beardstown Ladies’ Guide to Smart Spending for Big Savings: How to Save for a Rainy Day Without Sacrificing Your Lifestyle”
- Books I’ve bought…
- “Select all” code for inviting Facebook friends to an event
- Sunday’s comin’
- Review: Groups app for iPhone
- Please leave a message…
- A la carte: Preachers leaving, more beer, divorce & remarriage
- Google search missing after Firefox update
- Why Louie Giglio’s new worship definition lacks air
- When it’s time to leave your church