Tonight is our third annual volunteer appreciation dinner at our church. It’s not only a blast, but it’s a bonanza. You see, our church doesn’t have its own facility for worship and large gatherings in Blacksburg. Since 2003, we’ve been meeting in the Blacksburg Middle/High School (long story about name change there).
That means that for almost 10 years, volunteers and members, guests and staff have been setting up tables, chairs, music stands, children’s ministry rooms – and taking them down – 52 Sundays a year. In addition to that, it’s amazing how involved and plugged in our people are to their small groups, agencies and clubs in our community, service opportunities and other ministries.
So, once a year, we go all out to say a huge thank you to our volunteers. I’m so grateful for so many people who serve the Lord by lifting chairs, babysitting children, and a dozen other overlooked and under-appreciated ways. Tonight’s theme is The 80s, and here’s the promo video for it.
The volunteers tonight will get to eat a great meal, laugh a lot, and even see some more staff-produced videos that will hopefully bruise their funny bones and communicate to them the lengths that we’re willing to go as leaders to show them how much we care for them in their service to our Lord.
Each year, it seems that the videos get more “over the top.” Here’s last year’s promo (western theme):
On this day...
Leave a comment
The Personal Blog of Jeff Noble
Info: From the misty hills of Virginia, "Notes from the Trail" seeks to encourage you on your journey. Written by a graphic designer-pastor, this blog is a blend of humor, insight, and faith discovery.
Check out my Tumblr site for other thoughts, pictures and randomness.
Also, my about.me page can link you to my other digital hangouts on the web.
- The Cove and personal spiritual retreats
- A la carte: Are you doing team leadership wrong?, Interns, and 3 Issues Churches Must Answer
- Goodbye (again)
- Liddle Women: Virginia Tech softball, faith and cancer
- A la carte: Evernote app ideas for speakers, Chris Broussard
- Take a free temperament test by Keirsey
- Sometimes it takes a ballpit
- Review: The Lost World of Genesis One
- 7 helpful tips for those in their 40s
- Can you say, “Watch me!”?
Links of Interest
Most Commented in Past Year
Users: 1 Guest
- “Select all” code for inviting Facebook friends to an event
- Why I gave up consuming “The Beardstown Ladies’ Guide to Smart Spending for Big Savings: How to Save for a Rainy Day Without Sacrificing Your Lifestyle”
- Please leave a message…
- A la carte: Death of personal blogging, political posts, book on prayer recommendation
- Review: Groups app for iPhone
- When it’s time to leave your church
- Sunday’s comin’
- Google search missing after Firefox update
- About WBC: Don’t Feed the Animals
- Apple store coming to Little Rock?
- iPad update