There’s one book I know I’ll be purchasing upon its imminent release: The Discipline of Discernment. Written by the Tim Challies of challies.com, it will be addressing the naked emperor of American Christianity – naivete. Perhaps naivete is too innocent for what passes as Christianity in our country today. Scripture assures us that by nature we would rather appoint and surround ourselves with teachers and leaders who allow us to claim the live we want rather than live those we should.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. (2 Timothy 4.3-4)
A recent issue of Time magazine ran “Does God want you to be rich?” as the cover story. Joel Osteen now has a board game that after reading about it in challies.com entry, I’d have to echo, “I feel dirty.” Prominent evangelicals fall to moral sin. Large denominations debate side issues of theology.
We could all use some discernment. All that is preached, proclaimed, written and blogged is not truth. Or even helpful. What are we going to do about it? Let’s accumulate the “Top Ten Suggestions for Becoming More Discerning…” Comment away.
On this day...
Leave a comment
The Personal Blog of Jeff Noble
Info: From the misty hills of Virginia, "Notes from the Trail" seeks to encourage you on your journey. Written by a graphic designer-pastor, this blog is a blend of humor, insight, and faith discovery.
Check out my Tumblr site for other thoughts, pictures and randomness.
Also, my about.me page can link you to my other digital hangouts on the web.
- A la carte: Are you doing team leadership wrong?, Interns, and 3 Issues Churches Must Answer
- Goodbye (again)
- Liddle Women: Virginia Tech softball, faith and cancer
- A la carte: Evernote app ideas for speakers, Chris Broussard
- Take a free temperament test by Keirsey
- Sometimes it takes a ballpit
- Review: The Lost World of Genesis One
- 7 helpful tips for those in their 40s
- Can you say, “Watch me!”?
- Easter expectations
Links of Interest
Most Commented in Past Year
Users: 1 Guest
- “Select all” code for inviting Facebook friends to an event
- Why I gave up consuming “The Beardstown Ladies’ Guide to Smart Spending for Big Savings: How to Save for a Rainy Day Without Sacrificing Your Lifestyle”
- A la carte: Death of personal blogging, political posts, book on prayer recommendation
- Please leave a message…
- Review: Groups app for iPhone
- Sunday’s comin’
- When it’s time to leave your church
- Google search missing after Firefox update
- About WBC: Don’t Feed the Animals
- Apple store coming to Little Rock?
- iPad update