At Passion 2007, John Piper, theologian and pastor extraordinaire got “down and dirty” with collegians about applying the radical words of Christ to real-life living. What he actually said was there is a siginificant difference in God disciplining his children and saying that “he kicks our asses.”
Had I been there, I most assuredly would have sat up and listened more raptly. In all the times I’ve heard Piper speak, both in person and podcast, I’ve never even had a hint that he knew any profanity, much less knew how to use it. I’m reminded of all Star Trek episode in a planetary gangster society where Spock had to cuss to fit in and just couldn’t get it right.
But here is Piper’s online apology. And here is Wayne Gruden’s response.Before you think this is much ado about nothing, in Gruden’s response, there is a profound and eloquent explanation of why profanity and lesser language can detract from a beleiver’s witness that is simply a must read. It’s definitely something to chew on.
Then I would point you to Tim Challie’s blog entry on the whole matter.
After all that reading, I’d be interested in knowing how it made you think, reflect, and where you might stand on things. That means you lurkers too, darn it!
On this day...
Leave a comment
The Personal Blog of Jeff Noble
Info: From the misty hills of Virginia, "Notes from the Trail" seeks to encourage you on your journey. Written by a graphic designer-pastor, this blog is a blend of humor, insight, and faith discovery.
Check out my Tumblr site for other thoughts, pictures and randomness.
Also, my about.me page can link you to my other digital hangouts on the web.
- New episode of Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom: Snake Handler
- An intro to Jesus Manifesto
- The Cove and personal spiritual retreats
- A la carte: Are you doing team leadership wrong?, Interns, and 3 Issues Churches Must Answer
- Goodbye (again)
- Liddle Women: Virginia Tech softball, faith and cancer
- A la carte: Evernote app ideas for speakers, Chris Broussard
- Take a free temperament test by Keirsey
- Sometimes it takes a ballpit
- Review: The Lost World of Genesis One
Links of Interest
Most Commented in Past Year
Users: 1 Guest
- “Select all” code for inviting Facebook friends to an event
- Why I gave up consuming “The Beardstown Ladies’ Guide to Smart Spending for Big Savings: How to Save for a Rainy Day Without Sacrificing Your Lifestyle”
- Please leave a message…
- Review: Groups app for iPhone
- A la carte: Death of personal blogging, political posts, book on prayer recommendation
- Apple store coming to Little Rock?
- When it’s time to leave your church
- Sunday’s comin’
- Google search missing after Firefox update
- About WBC: Don’t Feed the Animals
- A la carte: Pack your casket, junk DNA, Cydia tweaks, World Cup