Several folks have asked me what blogs I frequent, or what catches my eye. Well, it really depends on the mood I’m in. Some days I’m in a more reflective frame of mind, while others, I’m poring over information about the latest gadgets. So… for today… here’s my Top 5 Blogs…
5. Tall Skinny Kiwi… I’ve not kept up with it much, but I’ve really enjoyed reading it.
4. Gizmodo Blog… Hey! It’s Christmas!
3. The Pomo Blog… Terry Heaton always has something profound about communication media and strategy in today’s postmodern culture.
2. The Hankins’ Clan… I haven’t met him, and he’s a new blogger (who isn’t?), but I’ve enjoyed immensely some of his thoughts on church.
1. The Dilbert Blog… How can someone be SO disciplined to come up with amazingly funny strips daily AND blog? I mean, I’m funny daily, but I can’t draw…
Christmas Card Competition…
The annual Christmas Card Competition is drawing to a close at the Noble household. “What?!” you might think, “I didn’t even know there was one! How do I enter?” Well, it’s almost too late, but email me, and I’ll send you my address. But the winner will get international fame and glory by being featured here, on the Notes from the Trail blog.
It all started several years ago… 13 to be exact. That was when I got married. Before that, I don’t even recall sending out Christmas cards. I was always amazed how many I received even though I resolutely refused to send any out. I had always figured it to be a scam created by Hallmark to sell more cards. I mean, I gave people presents, and I figured that by sending out cards, I was needlessly informing the recipients that they were on my “I like you, but not enough to buy a present for you” list.
But when I got married, it all changed… Christmas cards became, well, an art. And because I’m a guy, I had to turn it into some kind of competition just to make it fun. It was a little too fru-fru for me.
So now we go by the Three C rule: Who’s was going to be the most Creative, Clever, and whose kids were the Cutest?
Now some of you buy those boxes of cards made by the Dollar Tree and feel fine about it. I would too. Don’t get your feelings hurt. But I assure you, you won’t win the Christmas Card Competition. We’d love to hear from you, but you just won’t get entered for international fame and glory.
However, this year… so far, there are three significant entries. If you haven’t received a card from them, and want to… well, you’re probably out of luck. But here are the top entries to date from the Noble household:
? The Inmans of Arkadelphia, Arkansas – When everyone else goes for the schmooze, they went for playful. Great shot, Kevin and Shannan.
? The Dowdas of St. Louis, Missouri – Caro said “Omigosh! She wins this year!” when she saw it, but that’s a little premature. Entries are still pouring in, and I get half a vote in this thing.
? JJ & Amy Humphries of Monticello, Arkansas – a baby shot with Santa that’s incredible.
It HAS been wonderful to catch up with friends this season. Thank you to EVERYONE who’s sent letters and cards. As the next 30 hours count down to Christmas, the Noble family wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!
(For those of you who are just now finding out about the Competition, it’s not too late! Don’t get discouraged. For those of you who don’t care, go on to Dollar Tree and know that my heart’s with you.)
Here’s our card for all of you holding your own competitions…. ;)
On this day...
Leave a comment
The Personal Blog of Jeff Noble
Info: From the misty hills of Virginia, "Notes from the Trail" seeks to encourage you on your journey. Written by a graphic designer-pastor, this blog is a blend of humor, insight, and faith discovery.
Check out my Tumblr site for other thoughts, pictures and randomness.
Also, my about.me page can link you to my other digital hangouts on the web.
- On invalid signatures, rejection, reflection, and relief
- Running for Blacksburg Town Council
- Why I am not responding to your texts
- Why I’m moving from a smart phone to a dumb phone
- Review: A Call to the Unconverted
- New episode of Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom: Snake Handler
- An intro to Jesus Manifesto
- The Cove and personal spiritual retreats
- A la carte: Are you doing team leadership wrong?, Interns, and 3 Issues Churches Must Answer
- Goodbye (again)
Most Commented in Past Year
Users: 1 Guest
- Why I gave up consuming “The Beardstown Ladies’ Guide to Smart Spending for Big Savings: How to Save for a Rainy Day Without Sacrificing Your Lifestyle”
- Books I’ve bought…
- “Select all” code for inviting Facebook friends to an event
- Sunday’s comin’
- Review: Groups app for iPhone
- Please leave a message…
- A la carte: Preachers leaving, more beer, divorce & remarriage
- Google search missing after Firefox update
- When it’s time to leave your church
- Why Louie Giglio’s new worship definition lacks air