Many moons ago, Katie McCaleb asked me about creating a recommended book list. I’ve drug my heels on that request so long, she probably has forgotten she asked me. Katie is a member of our church and one of the most frequent laughers at my jokes, so I must not let her down..
As I began to compose a list, I realized that many of the books on it were more than likely on other’s “recommended read” lists. I wanted to be a little different, so I’m going to take it a book at a time and offer you Ten Books That You May Not Have Heard Of, one at a time.
10. Wide as the Waters by Benson Bobrick
There are fewer folks who prefer the King James translation of the Bible today than ever before. Even fewer people know that the King James Version of the Bible was not the first English translation. And there are even fewer that know the blood that was shed for the Bible to be translated into English to begin with.
This book is a wonderful read – and at times you’ll need to remind yourself that you’re reading nonfiction. It is epic.
It traces the story of the English Bible through the tumultuous reigns of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary Tudor, and Elizabeth I, a time of fierce contest between Catholics and Protestants in England, as the struggle to establish a vernacular Bible was fought among competing factions.
You’ll develop a renewed sense of appreciation for the blessing of having the Bible in English after reading of the sacrifice involved in bringing it to the people.
Men like John Wycliffe and William Tyndale deserve your awareness and respect. You’ll develop a profound respect for today’s Bible translation societies, including Wycliffe Bible Translators.
The video below is from WBT:
10 Books You’ve Never Heard Of
Want to add some books to your reading list that you may not hear about elsewhere? Jeff offers you 10 great books you need to read that you probably haven't heard of.
- 10 Recommended Books (that you may not have heard of) #10
- 10 Recommended books (that you haven’t heard of) #9
- 10 Recommended books (that you haven’t heard of) #8
- 10 Recommended books (that you haven’t heard of) #7
- 10 Recommended books (that you haven’t heard of) #6
- 10 Recommended Books (that you may not have heard of) #5
- 10 Recommended Books (that you may not have heard of) #4
- 10 Recommended Books (that you may not have heard of) #3
On this day...
- Are the religiously unaffiliated rising in proportion to the rest of the population? - 2013
- Football throwdown - 2011
- Basketball showdown - 2011
- The clothing of creation - 2009
Latest posts by Jeff Noble (see all)
- 10 years of ministry (and lots of coffee) - September 2, 2019
- Review: “Openness Unhindered” by Rosario Butterfield - August 19, 2019
- Why do Christian women struggle with friendships? - August 10, 2019