I’ve not updated you on the latest with Carolyn’s health in a while, but 2014 has felt a lot like 2008. It was in November 2008 when we received results from a PET scan that there were three areas of concern that required biopsies. You can read more about that journey here.
What’s different this year is health insurance. I’ll resist adding some angry comments about Democrats and their ugly ramrodding of Obamacare down our sore throats (see what I did there?). The compressed version is that there have been growth in some of Carolyn’s lymph nodes.
We’ve known this for a year as a result of CT scans. We were scheduled for a PET scan in March, which Anthem denied. That forced the oncologist in Little Rock to order another CT scan for November, which showed even more growth. As a result, Carolyn had two biopsies in November. The biopsy report was initially good news – no cancer. However, upon further review, it was inconclusive since they indicated the presence of granulomas.
Without a PET scan, we can’t know if there are more granulomas present in her lymph system. So the doctor scheduled her for one, we booked flights, and two days before, Anthem turned us down again. This is not like 2008. Carolyn’s doctor called Anthem, protested vehemently and was treated rudely on the phone. Mind you, we’re paying our insurance premiums faithfully every month – even higher insurance premiums now, thanks to Obamacare, and yet the insurance company is telling the doctor what he can and can’t do to treat my wife who has been fighting cancer off and on for over 20 years. (I may be a little bitter.)
The appeal is in process, but in the meantime, I’d like to rehash an entry I wrote back in 2008 – “As You Help Us By Your Prayers.” The situation is similar, and more importantly, the solution is the same:
We covet your prayers during this time for our ability to set our hope on Him. Please pray for us all around. There are several areas of this “life stuff” that we are helpless to do without His work at this time. As always, we thank you for your gracious and tender mercy toward us through your prayers and help.
After years of learning dependence on prayer during these times, our emotions are not quite as raw as they used to be as far as the why’s. What makes these days frustrating is needless interference from the insurance company, knowing that we still carry medical balances on what they haven’t paid in years past.
In light of that, we ask for your prayers again. Thank you in advance for your kind and consistent intercession for us. Specifically,
- Pray for healing for Carolyn. Something is up; we just don’t know what.
- Ask God for provision for medical expenses (past/present).
- Pray for Anthem to reverse their decision and cover the PET scan.
- On a larger scale, pray for wisdom for those leaders in our country to truly fix the health mess.
Our Cancer Saga
Carolyn was first diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease in 1991. Since then, it's been a wild, crazy cancer saga.
- A Sheep’s Tale
- Our Story, a week in October
- Health update and uncertainty
- Biopsy results…
- Today’s stop: surgeon consultation
- Doctor update
- “As you help us by your prayers”
- Where we are
- Health latest…
- Experiencing intercession
- Two birthdays of good news
- The chemo word
- Surgery today
- A little closure…
- Chemo hero
- Our Story: Miracles
- Another opportunity to trust
- Round 6 update
- A La Carte: Health Update, December Nights kickoff, Saving Change and The First Snow
- Final surgery – Round 6: gratitude in busyness
- Health update 2014
- A little down: health update
- Miracles in the mailbox
- Immeasurably more..
- Moving toward knowledge: surgery
- Cancer hiccups
- A new wrinkle
On this day...
- Seven things Apple doesn't do well - 2015
- "Select all" code for inviting Facebook friends to an event - 2012
- Buy Launch Date for Super Center Savior - 2012
- Our little runaway - 2006