“Nuff said” is a collection of saved entries from across the interwebs. Here are some interesting, provocative and fun things for your reading and viewing:
The demise of blog commenting and a book you might want to read
Michael Hyatt is a popular author and communications expert. He recently pulled commenting from his blog. His reasons are worth noting, especially if you use the Disqus commenting system for your own blog. It’s not as if his blog is dying (note graph).
- Commenting and interaction have moved to social media like Twitter and Facebook.
Based on what I’m seeing and hearing, these conversations have simply moved into my social media channels and especially those of my commenters, among their Facebook friends, Twitter followers, and others.
- Hyatt couldn’t keep up with the commenting on his blog and it created “clutter” for him.
Small Groups make a huge difference
This brief three-minute video features Ed Stetzer, and he comments about 1/2 way through:
Proximity doesn’t mean community.
In other words, just because you attend church or are “around” Christians doesn’t mean that you’re experiencing biblical community. He also shares some survey results about how attending a small group at least four times dramatically impacts a person’s involvement in the local church.
Questions for sleepy or nominal Christians
Tim Keller, pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City, offers this helpful post based on questions asked during the Welsh Revival during the Great Awakening. He doesn’t mean sleepy literally. Rather, he is pointing to Christians who are “Christian” in name only or who are lethargically inactive in their love relationship with Jesus. Here are some of the questions:
- How real has God been to your heart this week? How clear and vivid is your assurance and certainty of God’s forgiveness and fatherly love? To what degree is that real to you right now?
- Are you having any particular seasons of delight in God? Do you really sense his presence in your life, sense him giving you his love?
- Have you been finding Scripture to be alive and active? Instead of just being a book, do you feel like Scripture is coming after you?
- Are you finding certain biblical promises extremely precious and encouraging? Which ones?
- Are you finding God’s challenging you or calling you to something through the Word? In what ways?
- Are you finding God’s grace more glorious and moving now than you have in the past? Are you conscious of a growing sense of the evil of your heart, and in response, a growing dependence on and grasp of the preciousness of the mercy of God?
Another insightful post is Keller’s Revival: Ways and Means.
11 books we lie about reading
From the Federalist blog, here’s the list:
- Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
- On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin
- Les Miserables, Victor Hugo
- A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
- 1984, George Orwell
- Democracy in America, Alexis De Tocqueville
- The Wealth of Nations, Adam Smith
- Moby Dick, Herman Melville
- The Art of War, Sun Tzu
- The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli
- Ulysses, James Joyce
- ‘Nuff said: Surviving Christmas Shoes, Sexy Christianity, Strange Fire, War on Christians
- ‘Nuff said: Fake friends, wrecking friends, loss of interaction, Hello-my name is Church
- Nuff said: Extroversion vs Introversion, Are you naked?, Christian resolutions, Recommending books.. and more
- Nuff said: Majestic Hotel, smartphones and sleep, church signs, church history, imperialist Christian missionaries
- Nuff said: Noah and Tim Tebow, Repenters, Driscoll’s apology, Let it go-please, abortion speech, Urkaine, and help for those who don’t want to raise their hands in worship
- Nuff said: Social media help, smart phones and dumb people, ministry to youth on social media
- Nuff said: Bad news believers, hashtag diplomacy, silver bullet of discipleship, single and satisfied?, kids sports, Kid President
- Nuff said: 10 commitments, the power of definitions, leaving your church well, ways you’re doing Twitter wrong, NO!, and more
- Nuff said: Trusting scripture, a Gospel without words, a Trader or a Christian?, Does Powerpoint help?, Be a people person, Selfies Anonymous
- Nuff Said: Son of Hamas, Elders as Disciple Makers, Hipster Quitter, Caveats to the #IceBucketChallenge, the new face of the IMB,
- ‘Nuff Said: Improving Your “Do,” Things to pray for your kids, 20 things you shouldn’t do if you’re over 20, 30 things you may already be doing that impress others, when a cult repents, too much phone? and Star Trek
- Nuff said: Fix annoying iOS 8 tidbits, charts!, the world’s largest religion, why working from a coffee shop may not be a good idea
- Nuff said: Saving Daylight, the church “stand and greet time,” the iPhone cone, why go to church and more
- Nuff said: #1 Bible translations, Cause of Divorce, Donald Miller spirituality, coffee mugs, trusted professions
- Nuff said: Cool air, on the wrong side of history, iPhone history, utilitarianism, Gmail helps, a heavenly visit?
- Nuff Said: Demise of blog commenting, Small Groups make a BIG difference, Questions for sleepy Christians, & 11 books we lie about reading
- Nuff said: A week later with the same-sex ruling
- Nuff Said: Why Churches Should Stay Home on Halloween, Photoshop Alternatives, Dumb Ideas About Jesus, The Power of Next, Discipleship DNA, What Ben Carson would do first if elected President
- Nuff Said: Bonhoeffer too popular? When $17.38 changes a life.. Churches & communication… The death of cultural Christianity… A college president stands up… Star Wars cast acapella
- Nuff said: Impractical Jokers save the day, Watch Pompeii get destroyed, How to deal with crisis, How to reach millennials, Blacksburg Winter Storm aerial footage, 9 reasons the church need to reach college students
- Nuff said: Pastor ponderings
- Nuff said: A tribute to millennials as college starts again
- Nuff Said: Tech companies trumping Trump, Helping authors, Pastors who ignore phone calls, ways for busy moms to be in the Bible, Frankfurter Sandwiches and more
- Nuff said: Reaching milennials; Beat the idea, not the person; America runs on clicks; Email in real life
- Nuff Said: A porn queen and Christians; a nation of depression; glutton-free churches and more good news from around the net
- Nuff said: The Eisenhower Box, porn addiction in the church, Why Dilbert hates goals, Are youth leaving the church? and the Celebrity Pastor Fantasy Draft
- Nuff Said: “Ordinary” Sundays, Methodists circa 2014, Top 35 Christian blogs and the Youth Pastor Accidental Screenshare
On this day...
- Snowpocalypse Reports - 2014
- Live Where You Love: The New River Valley - 2013
- Eating my words - 2009
- Vague wanderings about Disney - 2007
Latest posts by Jeff Noble (see all)
- 10 years of ministry (and lots of coffee) - September 2, 2019
- Review: “Openness Unhindered” by Rosario Butterfield - August 19, 2019
- Why do Christian women struggle with friendships? - August 10, 2019