“Nuff said” is a collection of saved entries from across the interwebs. Here are some interesting, provocative and fun things for your reading and viewing:
Valerie Dunham (I know her!) writes for Christ and Pop Culture and shares how the four friends behind Impractical Jokers provided a much-needed respite during a hard time.
I had just written an article about joy (and peanut brittle) yesterday, and so her first sentence grabbed me:
Joy is not the same thing as happiness.
How have you been encouraged from unlikely sources?
“How to Reach Millennials”
Over on The Porch, Jonathan Pokluda offers some great thoughts about reaching the generation born between 1980-2000. They’re summed up as:
- Be real
- Teach the whole truth
- Hold traditions loosely
- Under-promise and over-deliver
- Find leaders
- Call people to greatness
- Give the ministry away
If you’re a millennial, which points most resonate with you? I encourage you to click over and read his fuller thoughts on each.
Our church ministers to a lot of college students, being in Blacksburg where Virginia Tech is located. At times, we’ve been called a “college church” due to the numbers of students in attendance. However, we’re much more a family church with a lot of students. I’m grateful our faith family has embraced students (see this recent video our ministry team made about offering them a Home Away from Home).
Chuck Lawless (I’m hoping he’s not in jail) offers these nine thoughts on why ministering to college students is essential for a church:
- There are a lot of them.
- They are in a critical stage of life.
- God has often begun awakenings with college students.
- They often have immediate access to the nations.
- When they follow the Lord, they do so with great passion.
- They want to do social ministry.
- They need – and deeply want – mentors.
- They’re interested in church planting.
- They are the leaders of today and tomorrow.
Which of these most struck a chord with you? If you’re a college student, what are some reasons you’d offer? And what list might you come up with for “Why a College Student Should Participate in a Local Church?”
Another friend – this one from college days – writes about the juncture that “mid-life” brings. She says:
I find myself at a juncture. But I’ve decided I want this juncture. I like this juncture. I need this juncture. I need God to keep moving me through these seasons. I want Him to keep moving me. Moving me closer to him and into a deeper and higher calling.
If you’re in a season of transition – whether mid-life or just decision-making – this is a great read for you to ponder as well.
And now… some videos:
Winter Storm Aerials of Downtown Blacksburg (2/15/16)
A Day in Pompeii (8:39)
This is a stunning animation of Pompeii being destroyed by the eruption from Mt. Vesuvius in AD 79. There are more video resources at the Realm of History website.
- ‘Nuff said: Surviving Christmas Shoes, Sexy Christianity, Strange Fire, War on Christians
- ‘Nuff said: Fake friends, wrecking friends, loss of interaction, Hello-my name is Church
- Nuff said: Extroversion vs Introversion, Are you naked?, Christian resolutions, Recommending books.. and more
- Nuff said: Majestic Hotel, smartphones and sleep, church signs, church history, imperialist Christian missionaries
- Nuff said: Noah and Tim Tebow, Repenters, Driscoll’s apology, Let it go-please, abortion speech, Urkaine, and help for those who don’t want to raise their hands in worship
- Nuff said: Social media help, smart phones and dumb people, ministry to youth on social media
- Nuff said: Bad news believers, hashtag diplomacy, silver bullet of discipleship, single and satisfied?, kids sports, Kid President
- Nuff said: 10 commitments, the power of definitions, leaving your church well, ways you’re doing Twitter wrong, NO!, and more
- Nuff said: Trusting scripture, a Gospel without words, a Trader or a Christian?, Does Powerpoint help?, Be a people person, Selfies Anonymous
- Nuff Said: Son of Hamas, Elders as Disciple Makers, Hipster Quitter, Caveats to the #IceBucketChallenge, the new face of the IMB,
- ‘Nuff Said: Improving Your “Do,” Things to pray for your kids, 20 things you shouldn’t do if you’re over 20, 30 things you may already be doing that impress others, when a cult repents, too much phone? and Star Trek
- Nuff said: Fix annoying iOS 8 tidbits, charts!, the world’s largest religion, why working from a coffee shop may not be a good idea
- Nuff said: Saving Daylight, the church “stand and greet time,” the iPhone cone, why go to church and more
- Nuff said: #1 Bible translations, Cause of Divorce, Donald Miller spirituality, coffee mugs, trusted professions
- Nuff said: Cool air, on the wrong side of history, iPhone history, utilitarianism, Gmail helps, a heavenly visit?
- Nuff Said: Demise of blog commenting, Small Groups make a BIG difference, Questions for sleepy Christians, & 11 books we lie about reading
- Nuff said: A week later with the same-sex ruling
- Nuff Said: Why Churches Should Stay Home on Halloween, Photoshop Alternatives, Dumb Ideas About Jesus, The Power of Next, Discipleship DNA, What Ben Carson would do first if elected President
- Nuff Said: Bonhoeffer too popular? When $17.38 changes a life.. Churches & communication… The death of cultural Christianity… A college president stands up… Star Wars cast acapella
- Nuff said: Impractical Jokers save the day, Watch Pompeii get destroyed, How to deal with crisis, How to reach millennials, Blacksburg Winter Storm aerial footage, 9 reasons the church need to reach college students
- Nuff said: Pastor ponderings
- Nuff said: A tribute to millennials as college starts again
- Nuff Said: Tech companies trumping Trump, Helping authors, Pastors who ignore phone calls, ways for busy moms to be in the Bible, Frankfurter Sandwiches and more
- Nuff said: Reaching milennials; Beat the idea, not the person; America runs on clicks; Email in real life
- Nuff Said: A porn queen and Christians; a nation of depression; glutton-free churches and more good news from around the net
- Nuff said: The Eisenhower Box, porn addiction in the church, Why Dilbert hates goals, Are youth leaving the church? and the Celebrity Pastor Fantasy Draft
- Nuff Said: “Ordinary” Sundays, Methodists circa 2014, Top 35 Christian blogs and the Youth Pastor Accidental Screenshare
On this day...
- Everything could change.. what COVID-19 has done for us - March 19, 2020
- How the coronavirus could reshape the university system - March 11, 2020
- Tribute: Dr. W.O. Vaught - March 1, 2020