“Nuff said” is a collection of saved entries from across the interwebs. Here are some interesting, provocative and fun things for your reading and viewing:
1. Why your church should not do an event on Halloween:
It’s not because it’s an “evil” holiday. It’s because you’ll miss out on meeting your neighbors. I love Chad Grigsby’s perspective on this.
2. “I have my own ideas about Jesus”
Once again Adam Ford has a great comic about how silly it is to attempt to like Jesus without liking His teachings. Click on the link or the first panel to read the entire strip:
3. Is your church ready for “next?”
It’s a question we ask at our church often. There are certain times of year that unchurched folks and the spiritually curious will visit our services – Easter, Christmas, and in our collegiate community, the beginnings of each semester. One of the principles we’ve begun practicing through asking that question is provide a next.
This thought is summed up well in the article Is Your Church Ready for the Sunday After Easter? The reality is that most churches gear up for these special times, but little thought is put into offering guests a “next” encounter.
Don’t plan another worship service as your next. Plan a social event, a party or an informal gathering. It should be something that allows your guests to actually meet and interact with your members. An opportunity for them to discover that they like you. That you’re normal. After Easter this past spring, our next was a local bowling alley and invited our members and guests to come and have fun. We paid for all the lanes and pizza. It was a huge hit, and we made some great connections as we laughed and played together. This fall, our next was renting out a local farm for a Harvest Hoedown. August-September are busy times for us as a church, so in October, we drew aside and provided a next – an evening of corn mazes, hayrides, s’mores and line dancing.
Having an intentional next demonstrates that you don’t just want guests attending your stuff. You actually want to get to know them, love them and enjoy their company. As you do so, they’ll also discover that your life is different because of Jesus. That begins the process of them trusting a Christian enough to listen to your story of faith. It also launches their own. Embrace next.
4. 10 software options instead of Photoshop
Photoshop is a beast. It can do everything from images to video. It’s also expensive. I’ve been mad at Adobe ever since Macromedia went under. I used to use Freehand for all my design, still believing it was superior in every way to Adobe’s Illustrator. I was even madder when Adobe bought Macromedia and killed Freehand without adopting any of its ease of use.
When Adobe went to a pricing structure requiring monthly payments, that was it. I was fed up. I finally found solutions elsewhere. These days, I use Affinity Designer for vector design (and Illustrator CS3 when I absolutely have to).
I still use Photoshop on occasion (CS 5), but for the past two years, I’ve been using Pixelmator. It’s a wonderful piece of software that’s only $30!
Here are 10 other options you might want to consider if you are also ready to move away from Adobe Photoshop.
What are other options for you?
5. Discipleship DNA
I love Riverside Community Church’s Discipleship DNA. I encourage you to read the details here. Anytime a church thinks through how it is going to make disciples, I get excited. Here’s their 10 DNA values:
- Gospel Saturated
- Obedience Based – Not Information Based
- Relationship Based – Not Classroom Or Book Based
- Reproducing And Accountable
- Progressive And Self Feeding
- Everyone Is A Potential Leader
- New Groups Rather Than Big Groups
- Assessment / Evaluation
6. Dr. Ben Carson on what he’d do first if elected President … back in April 2014
Frankly, I’m excited that two outsiders are the frontrunners for the GOP nomination. I love politics, as I’ve mentioned before. Here’s Dr. Carson’s take on what he’d do first:
- ‘Nuff said: Surviving Christmas Shoes, Sexy Christianity, Strange Fire, War on Christians
- ‘Nuff said: Fake friends, wrecking friends, loss of interaction, Hello-my name is Church
- Nuff said: Extroversion vs Introversion, Are you naked?, Christian resolutions, Recommending books.. and more
- Nuff said: Majestic Hotel, smartphones and sleep, church signs, church history, imperialist Christian missionaries
- Nuff said: Noah and Tim Tebow, Repenters, Driscoll’s apology, Let it go-please, abortion speech, Urkaine, and help for those who don’t want to raise their hands in worship
- Nuff said: Social media help, smart phones and dumb people, ministry to youth on social media
- Nuff said: Bad news believers, hashtag diplomacy, silver bullet of discipleship, single and satisfied?, kids sports, Kid President
- Nuff said: 10 commitments, the power of definitions, leaving your church well, ways you’re doing Twitter wrong, NO!, and more
- Nuff said: Trusting scripture, a Gospel without words, a Trader or a Christian?, Does Powerpoint help?, Be a people person, Selfies Anonymous
- Nuff Said: Son of Hamas, Elders as Disciple Makers, Hipster Quitter, Caveats to the #IceBucketChallenge, the new face of the IMB,
- ‘Nuff Said: Improving Your “Do,” Things to pray for your kids, 20 things you shouldn’t do if you’re over 20, 30 things you may already be doing that impress others, when a cult repents, too much phone? and Star Trek
- Nuff said: Fix annoying iOS 8 tidbits, charts!, the world’s largest religion, why working from a coffee shop may not be a good idea
- Nuff said: Saving Daylight, the church “stand and greet time,” the iPhone cone, why go to church and more
- Nuff said: #1 Bible translations, Cause of Divorce, Donald Miller spirituality, coffee mugs, trusted professions
- Nuff said: Cool air, on the wrong side of history, iPhone history, utilitarianism, Gmail helps, a heavenly visit?
- Nuff Said: Demise of blog commenting, Small Groups make a BIG difference, Questions for sleepy Christians, & 11 books we lie about reading
- Nuff said: A week later with the same-sex ruling
- Nuff Said: Why Churches Should Stay Home on Halloween, Photoshop Alternatives, Dumb Ideas About Jesus, The Power of Next, Discipleship DNA, What Ben Carson would do first if elected President
- Nuff Said: Bonhoeffer too popular? When $17.38 changes a life.. Churches & communication… The death of cultural Christianity… A college president stands up… Star Wars cast acapella
- Nuff said: Impractical Jokers save the day, Watch Pompeii get destroyed, How to deal with crisis, How to reach millennials, Blacksburg Winter Storm aerial footage, 9 reasons the church need to reach college students
- Nuff said: Pastor ponderings
- Nuff said: A tribute to millennials as college starts again
- Nuff Said: Tech companies trumping Trump, Helping authors, Pastors who ignore phone calls, ways for busy moms to be in the Bible, Frankfurter Sandwiches and more
- Nuff said: Reaching milennials; Beat the idea, not the person; America runs on clicks; Email in real life
- Nuff Said: A porn queen and Christians; a nation of depression; glutton-free churches and more good news from around the net
- Nuff said: The Eisenhower Box, porn addiction in the church, Why Dilbert hates goals, Are youth leaving the church? and the Celebrity Pastor Fantasy Draft
- Nuff Said: “Ordinary” Sundays, Methodists circa 2014, Top 35 Christian blogs and the Youth Pastor Accidental Screenshare
On this day...
- Pictures: July, August, September on Insta - 2015
- Plumb lines - 2013
- NBC vs. Apple - 2007
- Pastor Appreciated: Mission Accomplished... - 2006
- A viral post: Humor, Jesus and COVID - April 3, 2020
- Everything could change.. what COVID-19 has done for us - March 19, 2020
- How the coronavirus could reshape the university system - March 11, 2020