Nuff said is a collection of saved entries from across the interwebs. Here are some interesting, provocative and fun things for your reading and viewing:
“On the wrong side of history”
Ever had someone tell you that? It’s generally used in a demeaning way and is meant to undercut not only your opinion but also all those who may hold to your worldview. Kevin DeYoung has a great contribution to why this phrase is impotent.
No doubt, the “wrong side of history” retort is rhetorically powerful. But it also happens to be intellectually bankrupt. What’s wrong with the phrase? At least three things.
Not only is Kevin Delaney from Little Rock, Arkansas and is on staff with the Museum of Natural History. His guest appearance on Jimmy Fallon’s show is fantastic as he demonstrates some “cool air.”
The history of the iPhone
This is a fantastic walk-through of the history of the iPhone. Smart phones glut the market these days, but I can still remember 2007 when I had the first iPhone on the day of its release. People would literally crowd around me to watch me demonstrate how you could flip through icons, take pictures, and see the interactivity of its touch screen. It was released in April 2007, but in December 2006, I wrote this post and said:
If you were preparing to upgrade your phone, you might want to wait. The iPhone, I predict, will eventually dominate the cellular industry like the iPod has the digital music one.
I feel like a prophet.
It’s another -ism that has consumed American culture. Essentially, utilitarianism is a mindset that focuses on “what works.” If it leads to a desired outcome, it must be morally acceptable. It also embraces an avoidance of pain and a pursuit of pleasure (because it would make sense to avoid pain and seek pleasure). At times, utilitarianism can be misconstrued as good old common sense. When this perspective dominates your thinking, you may discover that it’s at odds with the Christian faith.
God is not as concerned with outcomes as He is with the intentions of our hearts. Good actions with bad intentions do not please God. (Source)
If you’d like to read more about this philosophy, here is another source to get you started:
I’d also love to hear if you know of other sources and books about it.
Make your Gmail experience better
This article gives you five add-ons that will make your web Gmail experience better. Of the five, I can vouch for Boomerang. This service allows you to schedule your email responses. I will sometimes do use it when I don’t want to bother someone on a particular day (i.e., a staff member’s day off), and so I schedule the email to be sent the following morning.
Boy’s visit to heaven admitted false
“…the story of Alex Malarkey that inspired the book The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven was fabricated, Tyndale House Publishers immediately put the book and all other ancillary products into out-of-print status.” (Source)
This cartoon says it all.
Related: Visiting Heaven… for real?
- ‘Nuff said: Surviving Christmas Shoes, Sexy Christianity, Strange Fire, War on Christians
- ‘Nuff said: Fake friends, wrecking friends, loss of interaction, Hello-my name is Church
- Nuff said: Extroversion vs Introversion, Are you naked?, Christian resolutions, Recommending books.. and more
- Nuff said: Majestic Hotel, smartphones and sleep, church signs, church history, imperialist Christian missionaries
- Nuff said: Noah and Tim Tebow, Repenters, Driscoll’s apology, Let it go-please, abortion speech, Urkaine, and help for those who don’t want to raise their hands in worship
- Nuff said: Social media help, smart phones and dumb people, ministry to youth on social media
- Nuff said: Bad news believers, hashtag diplomacy, silver bullet of discipleship, single and satisfied?, kids sports, Kid President
- Nuff said: 10 commitments, the power of definitions, leaving your church well, ways you’re doing Twitter wrong, NO!, and more
- Nuff said: Trusting scripture, a Gospel without words, a Trader or a Christian?, Does Powerpoint help?, Be a people person, Selfies Anonymous
- Nuff Said: Son of Hamas, Elders as Disciple Makers, Hipster Quitter, Caveats to the #IceBucketChallenge, the new face of the IMB,
- ‘Nuff Said: Improving Your “Do,” Things to pray for your kids, 20 things you shouldn’t do if you’re over 20, 30 things you may already be doing that impress others, when a cult repents, too much phone? and Star Trek
- Nuff said: Fix annoying iOS 8 tidbits, charts!, the world’s largest religion, why working from a coffee shop may not be a good idea
- Nuff said: Saving Daylight, the church “stand and greet time,” the iPhone cone, why go to church and more
- Nuff said: #1 Bible translations, Cause of Divorce, Donald Miller spirituality, coffee mugs, trusted professions
- Nuff said: Cool air, on the wrong side of history, iPhone history, utilitarianism, Gmail helps, a heavenly visit?
- Nuff Said: Demise of blog commenting, Small Groups make a BIG difference, Questions for sleepy Christians, & 11 books we lie about reading
- Nuff said: A week later with the same-sex ruling
- Nuff Said: Why Churches Should Stay Home on Halloween, Photoshop Alternatives, Dumb Ideas About Jesus, The Power of Next, Discipleship DNA, What Ben Carson would do first if elected President
- Nuff Said: Bonhoeffer too popular? When $17.38 changes a life.. Churches & communication… The death of cultural Christianity… A college president stands up… Star Wars cast acapella
- Nuff said: Impractical Jokers save the day, Watch Pompeii get destroyed, How to deal with crisis, How to reach millennials, Blacksburg Winter Storm aerial footage, 9 reasons the church need to reach college students
- Nuff said: Pastor ponderings
- Nuff said: A tribute to millennials as college starts again
- Nuff Said: Tech companies trumping Trump, Helping authors, Pastors who ignore phone calls, ways for busy moms to be in the Bible, Frankfurter Sandwiches and more
- Nuff said: Reaching milennials; Beat the idea, not the person; America runs on clicks; Email in real life
- Nuff Said: A porn queen and Christians; a nation of depression; glutton-free churches and more good news from around the net
- Nuff said: The Eisenhower Box, porn addiction in the church, Why Dilbert hates goals, Are youth leaving the church? and the Celebrity Pastor Fantasy Draft
- Nuff Said: “Ordinary” Sundays, Methodists circa 2014, Top 35 Christian blogs and the Youth Pastor Accidental Screenshare
On this day...
- Snow and the Jonas brothers - 2016
- Walking through the bookstore - 2014
- Nuff said: Extroversion vs Introversion, Are you naked?, Christian resolutions, Recommending books.. and more - 2014
- Imitate me? - 2008
- Everything could change.. what COVID-19 has done for us - March 19, 2020
- How the coronavirus could reshape the university system - March 11, 2020
- Tribute: Dr. W.O. Vaught - March 1, 2020