This week, Virginia Tech began classes. As a result, Blacksburg has traffic again. I can no longer get back and forth to my house in less than 4 minutes using Main Street. Hello, back roads for another nine months.
As soon as U-Hauls began their pilgrimage back into town, the excitement level of our community and even our church increased. This past Sunday, we saw our first fall “bump” in worship attendance, with an extra 200 people attending. This coming Sunday, we move back to two services.
With collegians and post-grad students on my mind, this Nuff Said blog entry is devoted to millennials:
Why you need a church and not just a campus ministry
Russell Moore has a great entry over at the Gospel Coalition where he states:
The reason many students identify primarily with a campus ministry rather than with a church isn’t because of any flaw in most campus ministry organizations. It’s because, too often, we evangelicals have a deficient view of the church. We assume it’s any gathering of people who believe in Jesus and who do churchly things. Many Christians assume the church exists simply to help us learn more about Christ and pool our resources for missions.
If that’s all a church is, a campus ministry can do all those things, and more.
But the Scriptures tell us the church is much more than that.
He has five succinct thoughts that are definitely worth the read about how students can avoid what he calls “unchurched spirituality.”
Freshman Year, One Second at a Time!
Last year, Virginia Tech freshman Mike Genovese took a one-second video for each day of the school year! The resulting video montage is pretty amazing. He’s from Cherry Hill, Pennsylvania, so the local CBS affiliate there actually ran his story and video.
Four thoughts on how to reach college students from a church-based perspective
According to research by Lifeway, 65% of millennials rarely or never attend any worship services. Mark Dance offers these four thoughts about reaching college students:
- Know Your Mission Field
- Speak the Truth in Love
- Get On Campus Often
- Plug Them In or Watch Them Leave
The Millennial Song
Micah Tyler from Watermark Church has another great video about millennials. With the line about the man bun, it of course made me think of Sam.
How college might be turning students into “Giant Babies”
I’ll close with a more provocative post by Matt Walsh from last year – about the time that student protests at the University of Missouri resulted in the firing of the Mizzou president. Matt says:
Our generation has become a laughingstock of the entire world largely because of “college educated” overgrown infants who collapse into puddles of tears and hashtags the moment they encounter a word, phrase, or idea that offends them. I really don’t want millennials to be remembered as the most insufferable group of infantilized weaklings ever to walk the Earth, but that’s where things are headed, thanks in large part to the fine scholars at our nation’s institutions of higher learning.
As always, leave a comment or snide remark!
And give a millennial a hug this week. They may need it.
- ‘Nuff said: Surviving Christmas Shoes, Sexy Christianity, Strange Fire, War on Christians
- ‘Nuff said: Fake friends, wrecking friends, loss of interaction, Hello-my name is Church
- Nuff said: Extroversion vs Introversion, Are you naked?, Christian resolutions, Recommending books.. and more
- Nuff said: Majestic Hotel, smartphones and sleep, church signs, church history, imperialist Christian missionaries
- Nuff said: Noah and Tim Tebow, Repenters, Driscoll’s apology, Let it go-please, abortion speech, Urkaine, and help for those who don’t want to raise their hands in worship
- Nuff said: Social media help, smart phones and dumb people, ministry to youth on social media
- Nuff said: Bad news believers, hashtag diplomacy, silver bullet of discipleship, single and satisfied?, kids sports, Kid President
- Nuff said: 10 commitments, the power of definitions, leaving your church well, ways you’re doing Twitter wrong, NO!, and more
- Nuff said: Trusting scripture, a Gospel without words, a Trader or a Christian?, Does Powerpoint help?, Be a people person, Selfies Anonymous
- Nuff Said: Son of Hamas, Elders as Disciple Makers, Hipster Quitter, Caveats to the #IceBucketChallenge, the new face of the IMB,
- ‘Nuff Said: Improving Your “Do,” Things to pray for your kids, 20 things you shouldn’t do if you’re over 20, 30 things you may already be doing that impress others, when a cult repents, too much phone? and Star Trek
- Nuff said: Fix annoying iOS 8 tidbits, charts!, the world’s largest religion, why working from a coffee shop may not be a good idea
- Nuff said: Saving Daylight, the church “stand and greet time,” the iPhone cone, why go to church and more
- Nuff said: #1 Bible translations, Cause of Divorce, Donald Miller spirituality, coffee mugs, trusted professions
- Nuff said: Cool air, on the wrong side of history, iPhone history, utilitarianism, Gmail helps, a heavenly visit?
- Nuff Said: Demise of blog commenting, Small Groups make a BIG difference, Questions for sleepy Christians, & 11 books we lie about reading
- Nuff said: A week later with the same-sex ruling
- Nuff Said: Why Churches Should Stay Home on Halloween, Photoshop Alternatives, Dumb Ideas About Jesus, The Power of Next, Discipleship DNA, What Ben Carson would do first if elected President
- Nuff Said: Bonhoeffer too popular? When $17.38 changes a life.. Churches & communication… The death of cultural Christianity… A college president stands up… Star Wars cast acapella
- Nuff said: Impractical Jokers save the day, Watch Pompeii get destroyed, How to deal with crisis, How to reach millennials, Blacksburg Winter Storm aerial footage, 9 reasons the church need to reach college students
- Nuff said: Pastor ponderings
- Nuff said: A tribute to millennials as college starts again
- Nuff Said: Tech companies trumping Trump, Helping authors, Pastors who ignore phone calls, ways for busy moms to be in the Bible, Frankfurter Sandwiches and more
- Nuff said: Reaching milennials; Beat the idea, not the person; America runs on clicks; Email in real life
- Nuff Said: A porn queen and Christians; a nation of depression; glutton-free churches and more good news from around the net
- Nuff said: The Eisenhower Box, porn addiction in the church, Why Dilbert hates goals, Are youth leaving the church? and the Celebrity Pastor Fantasy Draft
- Nuff Said: “Ordinary” Sundays, Methodists circa 2014, Top 35 Christian blogs and the Youth Pastor Accidental Screenshare
On this day...
- Guest blog at Virginia Baptists' site about "Super Center Savior" - 2014
- I'm an earthquake survivor - 2011
- 5 more things... - 2011
- Review: Red (rated 5 stars) - 2008