“Nuff Said” is a collection of articles that caught my eye on the interwebs.
The New York Blessing
This is beautiful and absolutely what the church should be doing in times of turmoil and crisis: singing praise and blessing. We have hope to offer because it’s been offered to us, through the cross of Jesus!
“In 2020, New York City became the epicenter of the COVID19 virus killing over 25,000 people. Later, our streets were filled with rage, fear and frustration crying out for justice. But, the Church rose up united to Lament, Listen, Learn and Lead in this crisis.”
This podcast is a powerful, raw and real discussion about George Floyd’s death and cultural response just days after. I have recommended it to many and still do.
From the Just Thinking website: “In a first-of-its-kind episode, Darrell Harrison and Virgil “Omaha” Walker get behind their respective microphones for a no-holds-barred, completely impromptu, unscheduled, and unscripted (no notes) discussion about how believers in Christ should respond to events surrounding the death of Mr. George Floyd at the hands of police officers in Minnesota. Buckle up.”
This humbling article by Christian hip hop artist Shai Linne is insightful and also challenging. It’s an important contribution to our understanding of cultural context and the deep need for loving, biblical and bold communication with one another.
“Long after George Floyd disappears from the headlines, I will still be a black man in America. And you know what? I thank God for that! He knew exactly what he was doing when he made me the way he did. Despite the real and exhausting challenges that come with my outward packaging, I know that I’m fearfully and wonderfully made. And I wouldn’t want to be anything other than what I am: a follower of Jesus Christ who has been saved by grace and redeemed by the blood of the Lamb—who also has brown skin and dreadlocks and does hip-hop. And God has chosen, in his great mercy, to leverage it all for his glory. Praise be to him.”
Donald Whitney wrote this for the Desiring God website back in December 2019, looking forward to a brand, spanking new year known as “2020.” Now, with this year half over, and the general assessment being 👎, I think the ten questions are worth considering afresh, but I’d especially recommend these:
- What’s one thing you can do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?
- What’s the single biggest time-waster in your life, and how can you redeem the time?
- What’s the most helpful new way you could strengthen your church?
- What single thing can you plan to do this year that will matter most in ten years? In eternity?
This blog entry by Bronwyn Lea offers you a simple and powerful perspective change in your prayers. Instead of praying, “Make it better,” try praying, “Make it count.”
A touch of snarky…
Also in Nuff Said
- ‘Nuff said: Surviving Christmas Shoes, Sexy Christianity, Strange Fire, War on Christians
- ‘Nuff said: Fake friends, wrecking friends, loss of interaction, Hello-my name is Church
- Nuff said: Extroversion vs Introversion, Are you naked?, Christian resolutions, Recommending books.. and more
- Nuff said: Majestic Hotel, smartphones and sleep, church signs, church history, imperialist Christian missionaries
- Nuff said: Noah and Tim Tebow, Repenters, Driscoll’s apology, Let it go-please, abortion speech, Urkaine, and help for those who don’t want to raise their hands in worship
- Nuff said: Social media help, smart phones and dumb people, ministry to youth on social media
- Nuff said: Bad news believers, hashtag diplomacy, silver bullet of discipleship, single and satisfied?, kids sports, Kid President
- Nuff said: 10 commitments, the power of definitions, leaving your church well, ways you’re doing Twitter wrong, NO!, and more
- Nuff said: Trusting scripture, a Gospel without words, a Trader or a Christian?, Does Powerpoint help?, Be a people person, Selfies Anonymous
- Nuff Said: Son of Hamas, Elders as Disciple Makers, Hipster Quitter, Caveats to the #IceBucketChallenge, the new face of the IMB,
- ‘Nuff Said: Improving Your “Do,” Things to pray for your kids, 20 things you shouldn’t do if you’re over 20, 30 things you may already be doing that impress others, when a cult repents, too much phone? and Star Trek
- Nuff said: Fix annoying iOS 8 tidbits, charts!, the world’s largest religion, why working from a coffee shop may not be a good idea
- Nuff said: Saving Daylight, the church “stand and greet time,” the iPhone cone, why go to church and more
- Nuff said: #1 Bible translations, Cause of Divorce, Donald Miller spirituality, coffee mugs, trusted professions
- Nuff said: Cool air, on the wrong side of history, iPhone history, utilitarianism, Gmail helps, a heavenly visit?
- Nuff Said: Demise of blog commenting, Small Groups make a BIG difference, Questions for sleepy Christians, & 11 books we lie about reading
- Nuff said: A week later with the same-sex ruling
- Nuff Said: Why Churches Should Stay Home on Halloween, Photoshop Alternatives, Dumb Ideas About Jesus, The Power of Next, Discipleship DNA, What Ben Carson would do first if elected President
- Nuff Said: Bonhoeffer too popular? When $17.38 changes a life.. Churches & communication… The death of cultural Christianity… A college president stands up… Star Wars cast acapella
- Nuff said: Impractical Jokers save the day, Watch Pompeii get destroyed, How to deal with crisis, How to reach millennials, Blacksburg Winter Storm aerial footage, 9 reasons the church need to reach college students
- Nuff said: Pastor ponderings
- Nuff said: A tribute to millennials as college starts again
- Nuff Said: Tech companies trumping Trump, Helping authors, Pastors who ignore phone calls, ways for busy moms to be in the Bible, Frankfurter Sandwiches and more
- Nuff said: Reaching milennials; Beat the idea, not the person; America runs on clicks; Email in real life
- Nuff Said: A porn queen and Christians; a nation of depression; glutton-free churches and more good news from around the net
- Nuff said: The Eisenhower Box, porn addiction in the church, Why Dilbert hates goals, Are youth leaving the church? and the Celebrity Pastor Fantasy Draft
- Nuff Said: “Ordinary” Sundays, Methodists circa 2014, Top 35 Christian blogs and the Youth Pastor Accidental Screenshare
- Nuff Said: The New York Blessing, George Floyd responses, questions for a new year, one word for your prayers & Joel Osteen