Sam and Zac McKinstry spent the afternoon together. I never saw them until they came loping into the house, dripping in sweat.
“Where have you been?” I asked, curious.
“Riding bikes on North Main,” Zac said.
“Where on North Main?” I said.
“On the road,” Zac said.
They both snickered and then proceeded to the kitchen to eat an MRE, which Zac had brought with them. I stood there, scratching my head, wondering when I had begun to let rugrats get the best of me in conversations like that.
Zac and Sam both love the outdoors – Zac probably more than Sam, cause he lives, eats, and breathes the new shows like Survivor Man and Man vs. Wild. I think the McKinstry family have been living off MRE’s for the past few weeks, cause I keep hearing them describe various meals they’ve had. The most intriguing thing about an MRE is watching a plastic bag boil food without melting itself.
I sampled the Vegetarian Burger and tried to swallow some “cinnammon bread,” and in doing so wondered if they make PeptoBismol packs for the soldiers.
On this day...
- 10 Recommended Books (that you may not have heard of) #10 - 2014
- Are the religiously unaffiliated rising in proportion to the rest of the population? - 2013
- Football throwdown - 2011
- Basketball showdown - 2011
- Everything could change.. what COVID-19 has done for us - March 19, 2020
- How the coronavirus could reshape the university system - March 11, 2020
- Tribute: Dr. W.O. Vaught - March 1, 2020