Today is Reformation Day. Martin Luther posted his explosive 95 theses October 31, 1517. In the wake of Luther’s life, an army of Reformers soon emerged. Foremost among them was John Calvin. Together they recovered for the church the supreme authority and clarity of the Scriptures. Grace-erasing tradition had buried the glory of the gospel. But now light was breaking out. So the Reformers took up a Latin phrase to describe the wonder: “Post Tenebras Lux”—“After Darkness… Light.”
In honor of Calvin’s ministry and, even more, in celebration of the God who restored the gospel to his church, we are making this video available today. My prayer is that it would stir in your heart a fresh passion for the majesty of the word of God.
Check out the great video:
On a not-so-reforming note, when I mentioned that today was when Luther posted his explosive theses on the door in Wittenburg, our worship minister cracked up. He then said, “It sounded like you said ‘explosive feces.'” Niiiice.
For more, check out:
On this day...
- 12 things it's important to know about me - 2014
- Top 5 conspiracy theories in light of the midterm elections - 2014
- Nerds and villains - 2010
- Buns upon a time... - 2006
- A viral post: Humor, Jesus and COVID - April 3, 2020
- Everything could change.. what COVID-19 has done for us - March 19, 2020
- How the coronavirus could reshape the university system - March 11, 2020