I posted the lyrics to Welcome Back, Kotter on Kristy’s blog yesterday and immediately began laughing hysterically at myself as I proceeded to sing them for the rest of the day. Readers of Notes may recall the Blog Hostage Episode where I refused to post again until Carolyn did. I used that song then.
Here are the lyrics for your enjoyment:
Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out.
Welcome back to that same old place that you laughed about.
Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they’re turned around.
Who’d have thought they’d lead ya
(Who’d have thought they’d lead ya)
Back here where we need ya
(Here where we need ya)
Yeah we tease him a lot cause we’ve
got him on the spot,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.
The song was a Billboard #1 hit in 1976. This was John Sebastian’s only solo hit, though as the lead singer and writer of the group
Lovin’ Spoonful he was responsible for 10 Top Forty hits from 1965-1961. (source)
So what was your favorite 70s sitcom or show? Kotter was definitely one of mine, as well as Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, Three’s Company (when I could watch it – they were living together, after all!), and of course, Gilligan’s Island.
On this day...
- Discipleship Story: David Smethurst - 2019
- 10 Recommended books (that you haven’t heard of) #6 - 2014
- Review: The Election (rated 3 stars) - 2008
- Our Story, a week in October - 2007
Latest posts by Jeff Noble (see all)
- But Senegal - September 17, 2019
- 10 years of ministry (and lots of coffee) - September 2, 2019
- Review: “Openness Unhindered” by Rosario Butterfield - August 19, 2019